The Masonic Temple, built in 1893 is a three-story brick and stone building that housed stores on the first story, offices on the second story, and a Masonic Hall on the third story. Architect and Builder, William S. Matthews and Lewis S. Sanders modeled the building in the Victorian Italianate style. Members of the Corinthian Lodge No. 265 funded the construction of the building in order to have an adequately-sized meeting hall. Mason Charles A. Shepard who later opened a dry goods store on the first floor of the Masonic Temple – was described as the moving spirit” in the building program. Although he was one of the first to rent commercial space for his dry goods store he was not one of the original occupants. Original first floor tenants were J. W. Snoddy, a jeweler, occupying the large store on the southwest comer; Welch & Embree Boots & Shoes in the large north storeroom fronting on North Holden; and the H. J. Wall Abstract Co., in a smaller first floor room east of the main entrance on East Market. The large southwest store and the east store were equipped with vaults.This combined building has served as a storefront for local businesses and restaurants since 1893. Previous businesses include a bank in 1913, Shepard’s Dry Goods in 1932, and Sears-Roebuck in 1958. Dr. Sam Bradley, an optometrist and Dr. Quibell, a chiropractor, also had offices here.